Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Like a Child

A few weeks ago Rosemary lost her temper because her wooden party cake slid off the plate onto the ground. I said, it's ok, just like Julia Child says, nobody knows what goes on in your kitchen. Just pick it up and keep on serving it. She asked who Julia Child was, and I went to the web hoping to find the clip of her dropping the chicken or the turkey or whatever it was, only to find a snopes.com page saying it never happened. I'm not sure I believe that but we both got distracted by this hilarious link of Julia Child on David Letterman.

Rosemary watched the whole thing two times (that day - we have watched it two times since), and made two observations:
1) They have the same hair
2) Actually, Julia Child is not a child

Unrelated: Rosemary and I were taking the F train home the other day. She made friends with a man sitting across from us who was initially interesting to her because he was carrying 2 fishing rods. That probably seems incongruous, but NYC has lots of coastline, which means lots of fishies. Whether one should eat the fish one catches off the coast of Coney Island is the question. This particular guy didn't have to make that call because he hadn't caught any. Bad day, he said. Rosemary started goofing around, burbling her tongue in and out and making burbly noises at him. He smiled back at her. She burbled at him some more. He finally did it back at her to humor her. Then she turned to me and said, "Why's he doing that with his tongue?" Hm, I wonder.


1 comment:

CMT said...

That Julia Child clip was hilarious--and Rosie's right, their hair is very similar, and far from being a child, she's a giant. I mean, I knew that--I saw her once waiting for a bus in Cambridge--but even Letterman is tall.

glad to get the recent flurry of posts!
Calin