Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kid Logics


Yesterday Rosemary baffled me by asking for "hamster crackers." She explained she'd had them "yesterday...one week ago...with some O's" and then I finally realized what she was after was oyster crackers.

Also: the other day I was packing up some old clothes and came upon some underpants my parents gave her at last Christmas. Six pairs of the cutest undees you've ever seen (owls, peace signs, puffy clouds), all tucked away during the summer of potty training after a wise neighborhood mom friend suggested using the old-school thicker training underwear. I asked Rosemary to try on the owl undees and she said, "NOOOOOO!" and backed away like she was a vampire and I had a fistful of garlic. I asked her why and she calmly said, "Those are my winter underpants."

Duh, mama.

In other news, school's going well. This morning (her second full day) she basically ditched me in the coatroom. I was left trying to kiss her cheek as she turned to head into class with a teacher. Right on. I think each day's a little different, especially as these first-timers start to figure out this is an ongoing event. The other day after I explained R had two more days of school that week, she said to me, "And then that's it?" But I think she likes it and likes explaining to me how things are done.

This morning she reiterated to me that, on the topic of the TV show Yo Gabba Gabba (often my morning crutch so I can get her to sit still while I put hair into ponytails, etc.) she is "pretty much over this." I asked why and she said, "Because I'm bigger." For now she's into "The Red Balloon" instead. I watched this many times as a kid, and recalled it as being 100% bo-ring. (Actually, I think it was something they made us watch on substitute teacher days? Was this ubiquitous or just Candalaria Elementary School?) Anyhow, now it's quite charming. 1950s Paris, how could it not be? We've got an old red balloon here and she likes to sit it down beside her as she watches.

2 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Wow. "The Red Balloon". I remember that.

allyson said...

I will admit, I have a soft spot in my heart for "The Red Balloon"