Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Life is Good (Away from Home)


A recent quote from Rosemary: "I don't want anyone to tell my grandparents not to spoil me." This was said out of the blue, just after a lovely week of sugar cereals with Grandma Nancy and before this current week we're in, where she is in the Berkshires with Grandmama and Baba. We forgot to pack her sneakers, and I just got a call from Max asking whether it would be okay for them to buy her a pair of Dora sneakers with lights that flash when you walk. As if I would rain on that parade! I will say that it has gotten progressively harder and harder to get Rosemary to get herself dressed. For her to wear anything it must have high ratings in two critical categories: "Fancy" and "Feel Good." I know, this is true for us all to some degree, but Rosie now takes it to extremes. Dresses cannot have low backs or thin straps. (I think something tickles in the wrong place? Proto-Victorian standard?) Skirts must have ruffles, glitter, ribbons, sequins, rainbow stripes - preferably two or more of the above. Pants? Well, pants cannot be pants. They must be a dress. With a high back. And ruffles, glitter, ribbons, sequins, and/or rainbow stripes. Leggings may be acceptable in certain circumstances, but only rainbow-stripe leggings.

She has a pair of purple crocs with little pink hearts with little fake gems. One of the hearts fell off. I called Zappos and asked if I could exchange the pair. They said never mind, they'd just send out a new pair. Grand! But guess what? It turns out the new two-hearted pair is somehow not as good as the one-hearted pair. And the one heart shoe (the left shoe) of the one-hearted pair is somehow better than the left shoe of the two-hearted pair, because the heart of the one-hearted pair is missing a gem, giving it that special je ne sais quoi. All this to say, that that crucial high rating for "fancy" is wildly unpredictable, and if something gets put on with alacrity, then that is a good, good thing.

So after I said yes, please go ahead and get the shoes, Rosemary got on the phone and said, "So you said you will like my new Dora shoes that light up when I walk?" and I said, yes, I will really, really like those Dora shoes that light up when you walk.

A few other recent quotes/updates from Rosemary:
I asked whether she'd like to help me mash up a banana to give to the babies. Rosemary said, "You're going to give them banana? A human banana?"
We have a pink water balloon that has come home from the playground 2 times. I don't know what its future will bring.
Hm. Seems like there were some other things I wanted to post but now I can't recall what they were. To be continued, perhaps.

2 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Rosemary is fantastic.

allyson said...

This post made my day. I especially love this:

Well, pants cannot be pants. They must be a dress. With a high back. And ruffles, glitter, ribbons, sequins, and/or rainbow stripes.

xoxox