Monday, September 16, 2013

Making Way for Hello Dolly

This post is a long distance dedication for my mom, who's bravely offered to make Rosemary's Hello Dolly costume for Halloween. Brave, I say, or maybe more to the point glutton for punishment since there's a high likelihood that whatever gorgeous concoction she makes will be roundly rejected. Rosemary's extra picky about clothing, so much so that (snooze, sorry, I've said this before) she often refuses even her most favorite, most comfy old standards because "it! doesn't! feel! good!!!!" (always yelped with much scrabbling and tugging and ultimate tearing off of whatever she has on). Mom and I rationalize this project by saying that even if it ends up not working this year, we have years more of fancy dress up coming in the near future and a sparkly golden dress will definitely be enjoyed.    

And if it's the journey that matters, well, Rosemary is having a ball working on the costume. We went to the garment district in Manhattan on Saturday to get the goods. I do love that area, with shop after shop of wholesale bead stores, then the trimming shops, and then the fabric stores. First stop, feathers and long, white gloves at a trimming store:



The expression at the end is all for me, as she realized I was shooting the video. The mom-arrazzi is so super annoying. The best part, which I didn't get, was the guy at the newsstand chuckling at the whole number, including the eye-roll finish. 

Having said I love going to the area, I should also say I find it totally overwhelming because there are so many, many options just a few square blocks. Even as I find something perfectly good in the first store, I wonder what might be in the other 25 stores on the block. But it was actually a joy to shop with Rosie because she was very decisive, selective but not picky. Now we bundle all the material off to Mom in Bethesda and start working on the song and dance numbers here. 




2 comments:

allyson said...

Oh, that eye roll is stellar!

The Laundry Queen said...

The video is awesome.