Monday, November 15, 2010

Chocolate!

(Pronounced "sho-co-LAHT," the way my wonderful Grandmama always said it. Writing that I can just hear her say, "I'll have a cappuccino with just a sprinkle of chocolate on top" as she wiggles her fingers around in a sprinkling gesture.)

Anyhow, chocolate. It's always big around here but yesterday I had a funny conversation with Rosemary about it. We were at a shop yesterday that had Hanukkah gelt. Her Grandmama (Jason's mom) brought her a little bag of it last week, so naturally Rosie gravitated toward it right away. She asked to look at it several times, and finally pulled one down from the shelf, held it tenderly in her hand like a baby chick, and then after a fashion started trying to poke a pinky finger through the mesh. When I said we were just looking at it, not buying it and not eating it, she said, "I know. I'm just remiring it." Jason smartly described that as a new word somewhere in between remembering and admiring. We will be working it in.

1 comment:

CMT said...

that is one smart kiddie, already coining totally necessary words. No pun intended on the geld.