Monday, June 28, 2010

Cracking Jokes

I don't know if this story will translate, but hey, I'll give it a try. On Memorial Day we were driving across the Brooklyn Bridge as I was picking up my voicemail messages. I announced that I got a message from Paco - a dear friend who Rosemary has a particular fondness for. At the same moment Jason was asking Rosemary if she knew what bridge we were on. She said, "Brooklyn Bridge!" And then, hearing my announcement about Paco, she revised it and said, "the Paco Bridge!"

Then the other day, three weeks later, we drove across the bridge again. She piped up from the backseat, "The Paco Bridge!" I was surprised she remembered her joke (if you can call it that).

Then the other day during lunch she said, "Choo choo!" to Jason. He said, "Choo choo what?" And she said, "Chew chew your food!" It was like a protean knock knock joke.

Last thing: she was getting ready for dessert. Jason asked her if she wanted a big scoop of ice cream or a little scoop of ice cream. She said, with certainty, "A BIG scoop of ice cream." Thought-heavy pause. "And a little one on the side."

No comments: