Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Few Scattered Thoughts on Last Few Months. And Tomorrow

I get so focused on reporting what we did I usually forget to say what Rosemary said about it at the time. Or the other little day to day things. I've got to remember to do that more often since you know, kids they say the darndest things, and if I don't write it down well then it is gone forever. I tried to use this blog to look up when Rosemary started using simple sentences -- her preschool's asking -- and I really couldn't remember.

From long ago: Last March when we were visiting friends in Seattle, I overheard Rosemary ask her first proper question -- to a dog, Jessie. She said, "Do you know your ABCs, dog? Do you know them?" Jessie is a dignified creature and did not answer. Now she is full of questions -- not to mention many answers. The answer to any question these days is usually "chocolate."

Of course R is as unique as a snowflake but she's into some things that are pretty much textbook 2-year-old girl: handbags, stuffed full of misc items. She gets super frustrated when she can't zip it shut. Often takes a stuffed "friend" of some sort with her but doesn't have a super duper favorite lovey. Except Ba, who she sleeps with (draped over her head) but doesn't bother taking out of the house. These friends seems to have weak constitutions as they are often "sick" and require medical attention, usually in the form of a doctor's visit ending with a dose of tylenol. Other big pretend games right now: cooking, going to the store.

Favorite books: Gruffalo, Hush Little Baby -- each renewed about 20 times from the library. Museum Shapes (Met Museum kids' book) is another favorite. Thanks to that book she has gotten pretty good at all the basics, but weirdly her favorite one -- and the first she was quick to recognize out in the world -- is the arch. I guess is totally legit shape although it seems like kind of a secondary one. (Of course it is a Met Museum book so there are lots of palazzo arches in art history.) Frog and Toad books and Little Bear books are other favorites.

This impressed me: A couple of weeks ago I said to Rosemary that I'd like to brush her teeth before her bath rather than after, so we would get it over with and wouldn't have to worry about it later. She looked at me and said, "Like Toad." I was pretty impressed, since she was talking about the Frog and Toad story "Tomorrow." We'd read it a few days before. Toad wakes up in a crappy mood, wanting to stay cozy in bed but thinking about how his house is a mess and how tomorrow will be all ruined because he'll have to spend the whole day cleaning up. Frog suggests he clean it today so he can enjoy tomorrow.

The last few days if I ask her to stop doing something mischievous - say, messing with stuff on the counter she knows she's not supposed to have, like my camera case -- she will look at me and say, "No, I'm just PRETEND opening the camera case." "Pretend" is said with a small, defiant jut of the chin. And the 40 three-second videos she's about to take with the camera. Are those pretend too? Hmmm.

No comments: