Monday, June 7, 2010

Pier 6 Cometh!

We've been hearing about the imminent arrival of Pier 6 for awhile, but it was only recently that I first heard the terms "slide mountain" and "swing valley" and some talk about there being water features. Well, I just had NO idea. This place is cataclysmically life changing -- in a good way! It's about a 5 minute walk from our house. No, seriously.

We visited yesterday for the first time. It was a mob scene but somehow that only made it better -- I think it was because the kids were having so much fun and the parents were wandering around dazed with cuckoo grins on their faces. No one could believe this place is for real and for keeps. And free. The only thing that could have made it better was if they'd been passing out lobster rolls, which is apparently exactly what they did at the ribbon cutting the day before.

Jason and Rosemary making their way down slide mountain:


Water! Like I said, I hadn't fully understood how MUCH water there would be, hence no bathing suit. Or no modern day bathing suit. It kind of looks like she's got on an old school swimming costume.




Video of watery fun, only so-so quality.

Add Image

Then as if all that weren't enough, there's a ferry from Pier 6 to Governors Island. We took the ferry over for a picnic and some art. The Children's Museum has a cool set up over there with a bunch of art stations.



3 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Free?! Seriously?! That's awesome. No wonder they could only afford to pass out lobster rolls for one day.

CMT said...

OMG! I hope we get to go to Pier 6 in July! I will TOTALLY bring a modern-day bathing suit so I can splash around with the other kids. AWESOME.

amypatrick said...

Can you send me directions, etc. I can say that Sadie would go ape s@&t for that place.